Sunday, October 12, 2014

COUPONS: HOW TO GET THE BEST SAVINGS



Did you know there about 48% of Americans who are saving money just by clipping and using coupons?   And you, like myself, want to get in on all the savings.  Read on, as I am going to share what I have learned, so far, to help you claim your share of the dollars that can be saved using coupons.  




1. Change - Using coupons to get the best deals requires a change in the way we do our shopping.  To get the most savings you try to:
  •   Plan meals around the best sales.
  •   Shop at more than one store to save at least 50% or more.
  •   Stockpile.  When you find a fantastic deal, you'll want to buy a 1-2 months supply.
To have the most success, flexibility is key.  Instead of being brand loyal, you can now try different brands.....the brands that have the best price and that match up with a coupon(s).  


2.  Coupons:  Where To Find 'Em - 
  • Newspaper inserts.  Red Plum (RP), Smart Source (SS) and Proctor & Gamble (PG) all come out regularly in each Sunday's newspaper.  If you're fortunate, your newspaper will offer just the ad/coupon section that are offered either, free or at a lower cost than buying the entire paper.  Also, ask your friends/family to save their coupons for you.  You'll soon learn that having duplicates of coupons will come in very handy.
  • Printables.  Just 'Google' coupons and you'll find many sites that offer printable coupons.   Coupons.com   download is one very good source.  (Click HERE  to take a look. ) Of course, you'll need a computer and printer.  (Having a laser printer will save on the cost of printing.)    
  • Mobile Coupons.  Having a Smartphone makes it even easier to coupon.  Ibotta, Cartwheel, Checkout 51 and Shopium, to name a few all provide apps and these apps allow you to download coupons to your phone or computer and redeem them to get cash back and saving the cost of printing.
  • E-Coupons.  Publix, Dollar General and others are now offering electronic coupons.  Just visit the store's website, sign up for 'E-coupons' then 'clip' your coupons by placing a check mark by the ones you want.  To redeem your coupons, just key in your phone number at the register's keypad and the 'cents off' are applied right at the register.  So easy and no scissors or printer needed.

3.   Time Well Spent.  That's right.  To get the most savings you must devote the time.  I think you'll want to make the time, once  you see how much money you are saving.  I spend about 1-2 hours daily, not just searching for coupons but checking  other sites to see what deals are available.  Believe me....it's worth it.






4.   What To Clip:  Now, most couponers will advise clipping every coupon out there.  However, I find it better to clip only the coupons  I think I'll use.  I DO NOT throw the others away. I keep them all together until they expire.  That way, if I find a great deal on an item, I can always go through my stash to see if I have a coupon that I didn't clip.  By the way,  if you know anyone in the Military, give them your expired coupons.  They are allowed to use them after the expiration date.



 5.  Organize.  You've got your coupons now you need to organize them.  I suggest using a three ring binder and purchasing  baseball card sleeves which can be purchased at Walmart to hold your coupons.  I have attached a Binder Category List   HERE.
You will have to spend a little time each week to place new coupons and remove expired coupons but this binder will be a HUGE help when you'r e shopping.  I also have a clear zippered pencil holder in the front of my binder to hold pens, scissors, calculator, etc. 
Every store has a coupon policy which you will want to familiarize yourself.  I advise print out that policy and filing it in your binder.  Every now and then you will run across a cashier that will challenge you.  In the event that happens, you'll be HAPPY you have a copy of the store coupon policy printed out.

6. Let's Go Shopping.  Now that you've collected and organized your coupons, you are ready to shop!  (By the way, I have a list of couponing lingo and abbreviations HERE. )  As I've mentioned earlier, you need to know your store's coupon policy.  Most stores will allow you to use one store coupon 'stacked' (more coupon lingo) with one manufacturer coupon.  Some stores will even  double your coupons. 
Okay, you head to your grocery store and you pick up an item and look to see if you have a coupon for it.  You do.  STOP!!!  Using it now WILL NOT afford you the greatest savings.  
Here are the secrets to extreme couponing:
  • Hold onto these coupons until you find an item that is on sale.  Read through ads and find BOGO's (Buy One Get One) and sale prices to 'stack'  your coupons.  Stacking will bring the sale price lower, free or even put money in your pocket!   For example:  Publix has Right Guard Deodorant BOGO - 2 for $3.69 ($1.85 ea) .  You have a store coupon for $1.00 off and a manufacturer coupon for $.50 off.  $1.85 - 1.00 - .50 = FINAL PRICE  $.35 ea.  .  Woo Hoo!!
  • Make A List.  Write down every item you are going to buy.  I even write down the exact size and price and I place a "C" next to each item I have a coupon for with the amount of the coupon.
  • Stockpile.  When you find a fantastic deal, try to purchase a 2-3 months supply or more.  This is not hoarding (which is against the rules in my opinion).  You want to buy at this price and have enough to last until the item goes on sale again.  PS.  This is why you'll want duplicates of your coupons.  Of course, you must abide by any limits your store coupon policy states.  But you CAN have a friend/family member make a purchase for you.  
  • Goal.  Try, try, try to NEVER pay full price.

My first shopping experience was.... scary!  Before I made any purchases, I visited the customer service desk of my store to confirm that I understood their policy and also to ask about any competitors that they would honor coupons from.  The employee was very nice and even gave me some tips. Ahhh..that went well. 
Okay,  I have my list and my very well organized binder. I'm ready to pick up all those bargains. Tip:  Only pick up a few items on your first shopping trip. This give you experience, help you get over your nerves and it won't take very long.  

After I finished picking up all the items on my list, I s-l-o-w-l-y approached the checkout, looking at each checkout  to 'choose' the aisle with the friendliest looking cashier.  One by one, I placed my goodies on the conveyor..  She rang up each of my items.  Then it was time....I handed her each of my coupons which she scanned....with no problems!!  Whew!!  And I saved 62% on my first shopping trip.  I was ecstatic....and hooked.  Woo Hoo!!

Tip:  Always be courteous and when you get to the point that you have a lot of coupons tell the shoppers behind you in line, that you are a 'couponer'.  You're going to get a couple of responses.  Scenario 1-  They will sigh and move to another line or
Scenario 2-  They will say, "Hey, I'd like to learn how to do that."  


I hope this little blog will help you to get started using and saving with coupons.  Now, get your courage up, start collecting those coupons, check those ads and START SAVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment